Our 47th Celebration of Traditional Music (CTM) Schedule *
The CTM will take place virtually this year and all events can be viewed at the Berea College Event Production page at http://berea.edu/iss/live
No need to RSVP. Events are free and open to the pubic.
Performers and Presenters:
- Alice Gerrard and Kay Justice
- Big Possum String Band
- The Gibson Family
- Guy Davis
- Jake Blount
- Kevin Howard
- Sheila Arnold
- Berea College’s Folk and Roots Ensemble
- Berea Blue Grass Ensemble
- Berea College Country Dancers
Thursday, October 15
- The Stephenson Memorial Convocation concert will feature award‐winning banjoist, fiddler, singer and ethnomusicologist, Jake Blount. He specializes in the music of Black and Native American communities in the southeastern United States, and in the regional style of Ithaca, NY. He foregrounds the experiences of queer people and people of color in his work.
Friday and Saturday Concerts, October 16 and 17
- Friday and Saturday night concerts will feature West Virginia icon Alice Gerrard, who will perform with Kay Justice. Gerrard will be honored for her decades of contributions to traditional music with this year’s CTM Lifetime Achievement Award.
- The concerts will also feature legendary blues guitarist and Grammy nominee Guy Davis (L. Allen Smith performer); Clifftop winners The Big Possum String Band; the Gibson Family and their repertoire of religious song from Richmond, Kentucky; banjo player Kevin Howard from Eastern Kentucky; and storyteller Shelia Arnold from Washington D.C.
Sunday October 18
- This concert will will feature some of Berea College’s diverse array of traditional music ensembles in the college’s first Traditional Music Showcase. The Bluegrass Ensemble, Black Music Ensemble, Folk-Roots Ensemble, Berea Country Dancers, African-Latin Percussion Ensemble, and members of Mariachi Berea will perform.
* Schedule is subject to change.
The CTM is supported by the L. Allen Smith Memorial Fund