The LJAC has funding available to students for certain kinds of supplemental educational experiences.
Eligibility and Requirements
- The applicant must be a current Berea College student in good standing.
- The experience must relate to Appalachia. However, Appalachia is a large and diverse region and Appalachian studies in multi-disciplinary. Lots of ideas relate to the region.
- The experience can be related to a class or a personal pursuit but it must be a primarily educational experience.
- Many types of supplemental educational experiences are eligible: regional travel, conference attendance, research, supplies for a course project, etc. Creativity and new ideas are encouraged. Consult with Dr. Green to inquire if your idea is eligible.
- No more than $250 will be distributed to an individual student per academic year.
How to Apply for the Special Funds
- Download and use this official application form: LJAC Funding Application [Save the PDF document to your computer, then fill it out using Adobe Reader or Acrobat.]
- Submit the official application form via email to Dr. Chris Green, email@example.com. Use the subject heading: “LJAC Student Funding”
- You must submit your application at least 3 weeks in advance in order to receive funds in a timely manner.
- Applicants will receive e-mail notification of approval/denial of their request.
- Spend the money on exactly what you requested it for. Any adjustments to how spend the money must be pre-approved by Dr. Green. Enjoy! Learn!
- After spending the money, within 30 days, you must submit a 500 word essay reflecting on your experience. If an essay is not submitted on time, you will not be eligible for funding in the future.
Revised: March 18, 2020 – CM