Associate Professor of Agriculture & Natural Resources;
Chair of Academic Division II
At Berea College since 2011
Goldthwait Agriculture Building, 214
Mon/Wed: 8:30 – 10 a.m.
Tue: 12:30 – 2 p.m.
Office hours are available in person or virtually (Dr. Hall will typically be in her office). For virtual meetings please e-mail Dr. Hall in advance or call her extension so she knows what time to log on.
- ANR/APS 334 (Tue/Thur: 10 – 11:50 a.m.) (Fri: 2:40 – 5:20 p.m.)
- Ph.D., Crop Science, conc. Grassland Ecology, University of Kentucky, 2011
- MS, Forestry, conc. Restoration Ecology, University of Kentucky, 2007
- BA, Interdisciplinary Studies, conc. Environmental Education, Appalachian State University, 2003
- Plant Community Ecology, Plant-Soil Interactions, Restoration Ecology
Papers and Publications
- Macdonald SE, S Landhäusser, J Skousen, J Franklin, J Frouz, SL Hall, D Jacobs, S Quideau. 2015. Forest Restoration Following Surface Mining Disturbance: Challenges and Solutions. New Forests 46(5-6): 703-732. doi: 10.1007/s11056-015-9506-4
- Sena K, C Barton, SL Hall, P Angel, C Agouridis, R Warner. 2015. Influence of Spoil Type on Afforestation Success and Natural Vegetative Recolonization on a Surface Coal Mine in Eastern Kentucky. Restoration Ecology 23(2):131-138. doi: 10.1111/rec.12164
- Hall SL, RL McCulley, RJ Barney, TD Phillips. 2014. Does Fungal Endophyte Infection Improve Tall Fescue’s Growth Response to Fire and Water Limitation? PLOS One 9(1): e86904. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0086904
- Hall SL, RL McCulley, RJ Barney. 2012. Restoration of Native Warm Season Grassland in a Tall Fescue Pasture Using Prescribed Fire and Herbicides. Restoration Ecology 20:194-201. doi: 10.1111/j.1526-100X.2010.00749.x
- Hall SL and RJ Barney. 2011. An Assessment of Leaf Beetle Habitats within Five State Nature Preserves in Kentucky. Journal of the Kentucky Academy of Science 72(1):24-35.
- Barney RJ and SL Hall. 2011. New Host Plant Records for Selected Cryptocephaline Leaf Beetles (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) in Kentucky. The Coleopterists Bulletin 65(1):15-19. doi: 10.1649/0010-065X-65.1.15
- Hall SL and RJ Barney. 2010. A Quantitative Method for Assigning Abundance Classifications to Leaf Beetles (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) in Kentucky. Natural Areas Journal 30(1):95-105. doi: 10.3375/043.030.0110
- Hall SL, CD Barton and CC Baskin. 2010. Topsoil Seed Bank of an Oak-Hickory Forest in Eastern Kentucky as a Restoration Tool on Surface Mines. Restoration Ecology. 18(6):834-842. doi: 10.1111/j.1526-100X.2008.00509.x
- Barney RJ and SL Hall. 2009. Pachybrachis nigricornis carbonarius Haldeman (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae): Abundance, Distribution, and Host Plant Associations with Legumes (Fabales: Fabaceae) in Kentucky. The Coleopterists Bulletin 63(4):467-474. doi: 10.1649/1180.1
- Hall SL, CD Barton and CC Baskin. 2009. Seed Viability in Stockpiled Topsoil on a Surface Mine in Appalachia. Ecological Restoration 27(4):381-383. doi:10.3368/er.27.4.381
- Hall SL. 2009. Talk of “clean coal” ignores dirty truth. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 7(2):70. doi: 10.1890/09.WB.001
- Angel PN, CD Barton, RC Warner, C Agouridis, T Taylor, and SL Hall. 2008. Forest Establishment and Water Quality Characteristics as Influenced by Spoil Type on a Loose-Graded Surface Mine in Eastern Kentucky. In R.I. Barnhisel (Ed.), Proceedings of the 2008 National Meeting of the American Society of Mining and Reclamation, Richmond, VA, June 13- 19, 2008. ASMR, Lexington, KY.
- Angel PN, CD Barton, RC Warner, C Agouridis, SL Hall, RJ Sweigard and DH Graves. 2007. Tree Growth and Natural Regeneration on Three Loose-Graded Surface Mine Spoil Types in Kentucky: Preliminary Findings. In R.I. Barnhisel (Ed.), Proceedings of the 2007 National Meeting of the American Society of Mining and Reclamation, Gillette WY, June 2-7, 2007. ASMR, Lexington, KY.
- De Sá PB, J Hartman, W Leesutthiphonchai, AM Holdcroft, P Dymarski, SL Hall, JP Royse and J Lensing. 2006. National Nursery Perimeter and Forest Survey for Phytophthora ramorum in Kentucky, 2006. Nursery and Landscape Program 2006 Research Report: 30-31.