Associate Professor of Agriculture & Natural Resources
Chair of the Agriculture & Natural Resources Department
At Berea College since 2014
Goldthwait Agriculture Building, 211
Mon/Wed/Fri: 9 a.m. – noon
- ANR 342 (Tue/Thur: 9:00 am – 11:50 am)
- GSTR 410 B (Tue/Thur: 1:00 pm – 2:50 pm)
- PhD Soil Science, North Carolina State University, Raleigh NC; 2014
- M.S. Soil Science, North Carolina State University, Raleigh NC; 2010
- Post-Baccalaureate coursework in natural sciences, South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD; 2008
- B.A. in Modern Languages: French, Fairfield University, Fairfield CT; 2004
Publications and Presentations
- Parr, M., Grossman, J, Reberg-Horton, C, Crozier, C, Brinton, C. 2011 Nitrogen cycling under roller-crimper-terminated legume cover crops in North Carolina organic corn production. Accepted November 2012. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis. Ecological Society of America, Annual Meeting, Minneapolis MN.
- Parr, M. No inoculum in sight: Rhizobia diversity and the challenges of working in Africa. NCSU Soil Science Department Seminar, November 14, 2012.
- Parr, M. and Grossman, J. Drivers of soybean-rhizobia diversity in uninoculated soils of smallholder farms in Malawi. Soil Science Society of America Annual Meeting. October 22-24th 2012, Cincinnati, OH.
- Parr, M., Grossman, J. and Snapp, S. Sustainable nutrient management and agrobiodiversity in Africa. August 7-12, 2011, Austin, TX.
- Parr, M. Grossman, J. Snapp, S., Bezner Kerr, R., Shumba, L. Environmental drivers of soybean-nodulating-rhizobia diversity in un-inoculated smallholder farms in Malawi. August 7, 2012.
- Parr, M. Fox, A. Cruz, A. Global Perspectives: Integrating international experiences into graduate studies. Sustainable Agriculture Education Association Annual Meeting, September 9 – 11 2012, Corvallis OR.
- Parr, M. Shumba, L. and Grossman, J. Beyond the naked eye: What we can learn from teaching soil biology to smallholder farmers in Malawi. Sustainable Agriculture Education Association Annual Meeting, September 9 – 11 2012, Corvallis OR.
- Grossman, J., Mothapo, N. and Parr, M. Effect of cover crop planting history on Rhizobium leguminosarum ecology in organic farming systems. International Congress on Nitrogen Fixation, Nov 27-Dec 1, 2011, Fremantle, Australia.
- Parr M. and Grossman, J. Nitrogen Fixation in Legume Cover Crops; Soil Science Society of NC Annual Meeting. January 18, 2011.
- Parr, M., Grossman, J, Reberg-Horton, S.C., Crozier, C, Brinton, C. 2011 Nitrogen delivery to legume cover crops in no-till organic corn production. Agron. J. 103(6):1578-1590.
- Parr, M, Reberg-Horton, S.C., Brinton, C., Crozier, C. and Grossman, J.M., Impact of Roll-Killed Legume Cover Crops on N Dynamics and Yield of Reduced-till Organic Corn C. North Carolina Soil Science Society Annual Meeting, January 19 – 20 2010, Raleigh NC. 3rd place.
- Parr, M. Reberg Horton, C. and Grossman, J. Harnessing the nitrogen cycle: Fixation, decomposition and rhizobia diversity in winter annual legume cover crops. NCSU Soil Science Department. October 28, 2009.
- Parr, M. Soils: The World Below. HS: Introduction to Permaculture. September 29, 2009. NCSU Raleigh, NC. Guest Lecturer.
- Parr M., Reberg-Horton, C., Crozier, C., and Grossman, J. Fixation and Release of Nitrogen from Novel Cover Crops for use in Reduced Tillage Organic Corn Production in North Carolina, ASA-CSSA-SSSA International Annual Meetings, November 1-4, 2009 Pittsburg, PA.
- Parr, M., Kenefick D., Sutton, F., Base Treatment of Seeds, A possible method to prolong dormancy. South Dakota Academy of Sciences, April 4-6, 2008, Chamberlain, SD.