Outside scholarships (including the Kentucky Excellence in Education Scholarship, or KEES) may be used in several ways:
- To reduce term bill costs for room, board, and fees if remaining financial need as determined by the FAFSA
- To replace some Berea College term bill grants (e.g. Miscellaneous Endowed Grant).
- To replace a portion of the Cost of Education scholarship.
- To assist with other educational costs (e.g. books, art supplies) per Berea College policies.
- Cannot be used to replace the family’s contribution (EFC)
Berea College’s current policy states that students will be able to use from outside scholarships up to a maximum of $600 for books if there is need remaining in their financial aid package. This is done to prevent a financial aid overaward and many times it becomes necessary to reduce other financial aid already awarded (e.g. Miscellaneous Endowed Grant or Cost of Education Scholarship). Outside scholarships cannot replace the EFC or expected summer savings from Berea College summer labor programs. Students may be able to use their outside scholarships from up to $1500 for faculty led educational experiences during their enrollment at Berea. Therefore we strongly encourage students to apply for outside scholarships to help cover some book and travel expenses when possible. Please contact the Scholarship Coordinator in the Student Financial Aid Services Office with questions about the use of outside scholarship funds.
You must notify the Student Financial Aid Services Office when you receive an outside scholarship. Please send notification letters from the donors and mail any checks you receive for outside scholarships to the following address:
Attention: Student Financial Aid Services
CPO 2172, Berea, KY 40404
or you may bring them to 120 Lincoln Hall. Any scholarships made payable to you that you cash must be included in your financial aid package, so those funds must be reported as well.