Education and Outreach
The BC Craft Education and Outreach Program provides the maximum experience to schools and communities interested in learning about, and participating in, the traditional craft mediums of Broom Making, Ceramics, Weaving, and Wood. Students from our studio crafts program serves as the primary demonstrators and teachers of their craft. The student craftsmen travel to under-served and rural communities to promote and preserve the traditions of the Appalachian region, participate in regional arts activities such as art festivals.
The BC Craft Education and Outreach mission is to expose schools and communities to traditional arts and provide them with the opportunity to dialogue with student craftsmen. Our programs attempt to serve the unique needs of each community in our service area by linking school visits and community events to profound learning experiences. The student craftsmen both demonstrate and speak on a variety of topics including: culture, craftsmanship, traditional arts, art theory, and the work of Berea College.
- Promote and preserve the traditions of the Appalachian region through active demonstration of various traditional art and craft disciplines in communities that are engaged in the advancement, promotion, and continuing education of traditional arts.
- Increase exposure to traditional arts for students in primarily rural, under-served, and under-funded public schools.
- Provide a structured opportunity for Berea College students to develop skills as teachers, leaders, and artists.
- Increase access and exposure to traditional arts for the local Berea and immediate Appalachian community through evening and weekend community courses in the traditional arts.
- Promote awareness of Berea College’s history and mission.
Craft Education and Outreach Student Craftspeople
BC Craft Education and Outreach Program is available to visit your school and Community. For more information please contact:
Berea, KY 40404
Director, Berea College Craft Program
Berea, KY 40404