Dr. Nancy Gift
Program Chair for Sustainability & Environmental Studies;
Compton Chair of Sustainability;
Associate Professor of Sustainability and Environmental Studies
Draper, Room 401
MWF 11 am -12 pm
Tuesday 11am -12 pm
Other appointments available on request (email best).
Please note: Please call or email first to confirm that I am in,
especially if meeting me is urgent!
MAT 108 (Mon/Wed/Fri: 9:20 am – 10:30 am)
SENS 100 A (Mon/Wed/Fri: 1:20 pm – 2:30 pm)
- A.B. Biology, Harvard-Radcliffe,
- M.S. Crop Science, University of Kentucky,
- Ph.D. Crop and Soil Science, Cornell University,
Honors and Awards
- Buhl Professor of the Humanities, 2010-2011, Chatham University
- ENG 280
- Ecological Weed Management
- GSTR 210
- MAT 108
- SENS 100
- vegetable gardens
- biking and hiking
- Association of Environmental Studies and Science (journal editorial board)
- Agronomy Society (Agronomy Journal Associate Editor)
Papers and Publications
- Black, B., Hassenzahl, D.M., Stephens, J., Gift, N, and Finewood, M.
2013. Encyclopedia of Climate Change Volumes 1 – 4. ABC-Clio,
Santa Barbara, CA
- Gift, N. Good Weed, Bad Weed: Who’s Who, What to do, and Why Some Deserve a
Second Chance. St. Lynn’s Press, spring 2011.
- Gift, N. A Weed by Any Other Name: The Virtues of a Messy Lawn, or Learning to Love
the Plants We Don’t Plant. 192 pp. Beacon Press, 2009.
- Gift, N. and F. Izaguirre “Home pesticide use, revolutionized?” Chapter for Silent Spring
50th Anniversary Essay Collection. Editor: James Bernard Kelley. Rodopi Press. (forthcoming)
- Traw, B. and N. Gift. 2010. “Environmental Microbiology: Tannins and the microbial
decomposition of leaves on the forest floor” The American Biology
Teacher. 72: 506-512.
- Gift, N., R.R. Hahn, and J. Mt Pleasant. 2008. Quackgrass managed as a cover crop
in herbicide-resistant silage corn. Weed Biology and Management 8(3): 154-160.
- Gift, N. and M. Krasny. 2003.The great fossil fiasco: teaching about peer review.The American Biology Teacher 65: 270-278.
A native of Lexington, I am thrilled to return to the Bluegrass region. I find myself in the odd position of being a soccer mom to 2 daughters, and we look forward to exploring the outdoors and the arts opportunities.