Dr. Wendy WilliamsAssociate Professor of Psychology and Women’s Studies
Frost, Room 207
Phone: 859-985- 3629
Monday: 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
Or by Appointment
- PSY 209 (Tues/Thur: 1:00pm-2:50pm)
- PSY 286/WGS 286 (Tues/Thur: 10:00am-11:50am)
- Ph.D., Social Psychology, University of California, Santa Cruz, 2005
- M.S., Social Psychology, University of Florida, Gainesville, 1999
- B.A., Psychology, Minor in Peace & Conflict Studies, Swarthmore College , 1997
Honors and Awards
- “Emerging Leadership in Psychology” Award, Committee on Socioeconomic Status, American Psychological Association (2014)
- Student Government Association “Service to Students” Award, Berea College (2012)
- Undergraduate Research and Creative Projects Program (URCPP) Award, Berea College (2012)
- Faculty Summer Research Award, Marshall University (2010, 2006)
- MU-ADVANCE Faculty Fellowship, Marshall University (2009, 2008, 2007)
- Grant-In-Aid Dissertation Award, Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues (2004)
- Pickens-Queen Teaching Award, Marshall University (2008-2009)
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant, Psychology Department, UCSC (2004-2005)
- PSY 100: Introduction to Psychology
- PSY 225: Statistics and Research Methods for the Behavioral Sciences I
- PSY 325: Statistics and Research Methods for the Behavioral Sciences II
- PSY 209: Social Psychology with Lab
- PSY 286: Psychology of Women and Gender
- PSY 386: Psychology of Poverty and Social Class
- WGS 124: Introduction to Women’s and Gender Studies
- GSTR 210: Identity and Diversity in the United States
- GSTR 186: Berea Bridge: Quantitative Reasoning
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- Society for Personality and Social Psychology (SPSP), Division 8 of APA
- Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues (SPSSI), Division 9 of APA
- Association for Women in Psychology, Division 35 of the APA
- Sigma Xi, Scientific Research Honor Society
- Psi Chi, Psychology Honor Society
- Phi Kappa Phi, Scientific Research Honor Society
Papers and Publications
- Williams, W.R. (2014, December). No yellow tickets: The stigma of poverty in the school lunch line. In C. Collins, J. Ladd, & F. Yeskel (Eds.). Class Lives: Stories from across our economic divide. New York: Cornell University Press.
- Williams, W.R. & Melchiori, K.M (2014). Class Action: How experiential learning can raise awareness of social class privilege. In K.A. Case (Ed.) Pedagogy of Privilege: Teaching and Learning as Allies in the Classroom (pp.169-187). New York: Routledge.
- Williams, W.R. (2014). Class. In T. Teo (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Critical Psychology (pp. 239-244). New York: Springer.
- Williams, W.R. & Limbert, W.M. (2014). Classism. In T. Teo (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Critical Psychology (pp. 244-249). New York: Springer.
- Williams, W. R., & Carter, K. (2014). Disadvantage and privilege in our schools: How teachers, psychologists and policymakers can do better, Analyses of Social Issues and Public Policy, 13, 1-4.
- Williams, W. R. (2011). What’s psychology got to do with it? Using psychology to foster economic development. [Review of the book Breaking the poverty cycle: The human basis for sustainable development]. PsycCRITIQUES, 56(20). doi:10.1037/a0023569
- Williams, W. R. (2010). A powerful voice for low-income people: The impact of ACORN. [Review of the book Seeds of Change]. Analyses of Social Issues and Public Policy, 10(1). doi: 10.1111/j.1530- 2415.2010.01225.x
- Williams, W. R. (2009). Struggling with poverty: Implications for theory and policy of increasing research on social class-based stigma. Analyses of Social Issues and Public Policy, 9, 37-56. doi:10.1111/j.1530-2415.2009.01184.x
- Bullock, H. E, Williams, W. R., & Limbert, W. M. (2003). Predicting support for policies: The impact of attributions and beliefs about inequality. Journal of Poverty, 7(3), 35-56.
- Albarracín, D., Ho., R., McNatt, P. S., Williams, W. R., Rhodes, F., Malotte, C. K., Hoxworth, T., Bolan, G., Zenilman, J., Iatesta, M, & The Project RESPECT Study Group (2000). The structure of outcome beliefs in condom use. Health Psychology, 19(5), 458–468. doi: 10.1037/0278-618.104.22.1688
- Leach, C. W. & Williams, W. R. (1999) Between past and future: Identity and conflicting expectations of the future in Northern Ireland. Political Psychology, 20(4), 875-896. doi:10.1111/0162- 895X.00171