Lincoln Hall at Berea College becomes first building in Kentucky to receive Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification from the U.S. Green Building Council
For Immediate Release 11/8/04
|Lincoln Hall, Berea College’s administration building recently became the first building in Kentucky to be awarded the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification.The designation recognizes high performance and sustainable buildings and was created to promote integrated, whole-building design practices, and raise consumer awareness of green building practices. To date, there are only 151 LEED certified buildings in the United States.
Certification at one of three levels – Silver, Gold or Platinum – is awarded based on a point system which evaluates projects on more than 70 stringent criteria that fall under the general categories of sustainable sites, water efficiency, energy and atmosphere, materials and resources, indoor environmental quality and innovation and design process. Lincoln Hall received certification at the Silver level.
Built in 1885-87, Lincoln Hall is the second oldest permanent structure on Berea’s campus and has been Berea’s administration building since 1914. Lincoln Hall was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1975 for its significance in the history of the U.S. civil rights movement.
Lincoln Hall underwent an 18-month, $5.5 million “green” renovation as a result of a collapse of its central interior in May 2001 and reopened in the fall of 2003.
The renovation’s designer was Richard Polk of EOP Architects, Lexington (Ekhoff, Ochenkoski and Polk), and principle construction contractor was Messer and Sons Construction, also of Lexington.
While the building’s exterior remains virtually unchanged, the interior of Lincoln Hall incorporates elements from its past with features consistent with the needs of a modern work place as well as Berea’s commitment to sustainability. A three-story central atrium not only opens up the interior and makes a dramatic architectural statement, this feature is brings daylight into the heart of the building and through an increased use of glass in interior walls, insures outdoor views to almost every occupied space in the building.
Other “green building” techniques and features incorporated into Lincoln Hall’s renovation include:
In addition to the President’s office, the newly renovated building houses Finance and Business Administration offices, offices of the Provost, Associate Provosts, Dean and Associate Dean of the Faculty and the office of Institutional Research. Most of the first floor is occupied by the new Student Services Center, providing “one-stop shopping” for students that consolidates Academic Services, Student Financial Aid and Student Accounts
Tim Jordan, Director of Public Relations
Phone: (859) 985-3020