Information Systems and Services

Wireless Rollout Update

Posted on by John Lympany

Site surveys will be conducted in late June/early July to begin Phase I of our wireless rollout on campus.  Our initial focus is on public gathering places where group work and learning can take place on an informal basis using laptops and portable wireless devices.  Phase I will include the Library, Crossroads Complex, and Cafeteria as well as an outdoor wireless mesh activated for the Quad. 

Phase I will also involve setting up the centralized management controllers which will be used in all later phases to manage our access points as coverage is expanded throughout the campus.  It will be more cost-effective to activate a building at a time and/or a major segment of the outdoor mesh as we expand coverage beyond phase I.  Therefore, we would like your advice and input on the buildings and/or outdoor segments that you would like to activate next.  We expect phase I to be completed by September and will move right away on phase II.  During the transition period, we will continue the practice of setting up temporary wireless nodes when feasible to address specific classroom needs.  The chart below identifies phase I wireless saturation.

Campus Map - for Wireless.gif

Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Berea College Logo

Copyright © 2014 Berea College