As the first interracial, coeducational college in the South, Berea continues to emphasize diversity.
- 17% of enrolled students are African American.
- The African and African American Studies department offers an academic major.
- Black Enterprise magazine highly ranked Berea as one of the best colleges in the nation for African American students.
- Alumnus Carter G. Woodson (1903) was the “Father of Black History.”
- The Black Cultural Center encourages understanding and appreciation of Africans in the Diaspora by providing programs and collaborative efforts that promote intellectual and personal development of all students, interracial understanding, and reconciliation.