A Visit With Jeffery Helton, Grow Appalachia AmeriCorps VISTA Volunteer
Hello everyone. I am Alex Sanders, Grow Appalachia Site Supervisor at Project Worth Outreach in beautiful Menifee County located in northeastern Kentucky. I hope everyone is having a great summer and enjoying our beautiful weather as they tend to their gardens.
Yesterday, July 2, 2014 we had the privilege to meet and host Jeffery Helton, an AmeriCorps VISTA Volunteer with Grow Appalachia. I really enjoy meeting and talking to AmeriCorps VISTA Volunteers because that’s how I got involved with Project Worth Outreach. My time as a AmeriCorps VISTA Volunteer was the most rewarding 3 years of my adulthood. I believe that I acquired more self confidence and skills during that time than any other 3 year period of my adult work experience. This is my wish for Jeffery and all AmeriCorps VISTA Volunteers.
The main purpose for Jeffery’s visit was to assist Gail Mills, Director, Project Worth Outreach , in beginning the process of writing a grant for funding to help us get a commercial kitchen. In this visit, Jeffery and Gail worked on the basic paperwork and agreed to continue working until completion of the grant submission process. After Jeffery and Gail finished with their work on the grant Gail and I gave Jeffery a tour of Project Worth Outreach which included our Learning Center, our Community Center, (which had a summer camp going on with a group of volunteers from Michigan), our food pantry, our greenhouse, a couple of raised bed gardens (a couple of our female GA gardeners who do not have room at home for gardens) and our Project Worth Outreach raised bed gardens.
Below please find photos of Jeffery’s visit as well as this week’s recipe. I hope everyone has a great and safe Fourth of July weekend. Good luck to all with their report.
5 large potatoes
2 1/2 cups chopped green cabbage
2 onions, washed and chopped
2 1/2 cups broccoli, coarsely chopped
6 tablespoons butter
1/4 teaspoon mace
salt and pepper
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1. Peel and coarsely chop the potatoes. Boil in salted water until tender, about 15 minutes.
2. Steam the cabbage, leeks, and broccoli.
3. Melt 2 tb. of the butter and add the mace.
4. Combine the cabbage, leeks, and broccoli with the seasoned butter; salt and pepper to taste.
5. Drain and mash the potatoes with the remaining butter and the milk. Salt and pepper to taste.
6. Combine potatoes with other vegetables.
7. Oil a 9 x 13 pan and spread the vegetable mixture in it.
8. Sprinkle with grated cheddar.
9. Broil for a few minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and slightly browned.