Externally Sponsored Programs Procedures for Requesting Payment
October 1, 2012
As of October 1, 2012, the Externally Sponsored Programs Finance and Operations Department will primarily prepare departmental check requests and purchase requisitions.
Many employees in Externally Sponsored Programs have the authority to obligate funds. Work closely with your supervisor to understand if and when you have this authority. Persons authorized to obligate funds must follow the Berea College purchasing policy available at http://www.berea.edu/vpf/files/2012/12/Purchasing-Policy-revisions-January-2012.pdf.
Payment can be made in the form of purchasing cards (pcards), a check request or a purchase requisition/order. The following is a summary of when each type of payment is appropriate:
- Purchasing cards can be used for costs that are less than $2,000 and where the vendor accepts credit cards.
- Purchase requisitions/purchase orders are required for all expenses over $2,000. Contact Finance and Operations for assistance with all purchases exceeding $2,000.
- Payment by check is used for payment that is not warranted by either of the above options.
Do not split transactions to avoid the $2,000 purchasing limitation. Contact the Finance and Operations Department if you need assistance in determining which form of payment is appropriate.
Purchasing cards (pcards) allow employees in the various College departments to buy small dollar goods (less than $2,000) and make travel arrangements with ease and flexibility. Use of the pcard comes with certain restrictions and responsibilities for cardholders. All cardholders should adhere to the College’s Purchasing Card Policy, which is available at the following link: http://www.berea.edu/vpf/files/2012/12/Berea-College-Purchasing-Card-Policy-Rev-1-1-12-2.pdf.
Purchase requisitions are used for expenses greater than $2,000. Purchase requisitions ensure that purchasing decisions for higher cost items are made in the manner that best serves the College, and that quality goods and services are procured efficiently and in a timely manner, at the most competitive costs.
To complete a purchase requisition, please contact Finance and Operations. The following conditions apply:
- Verbal quotes from 2 other sources are required for expenses greater than $2,000, but less than $5,000.
- Written quotes from 2 other sources are required for expenses greater than $5,000, but less than $10,000.
- Forward an email to Finance and Operations at least 30 days prior to the activity date so applicable quotes may be obtained.
- Expenses greater than $10,000 will require sealed bids and approval from the College Purchasing Department. Do not contact any vendors yourself. Instead, contact Finance and Operations for purchasing assistance with any expenses greater than $10,000.
For more information about purchase requisitions, please refer to the Purchasing Policy which is available at the following link:
Payment by Check
To request a check:
- Project Directors should stamp the invoice as “Approved for Payment,” include the accounting distribution codes and sign. Approval stamps are available in each Externally Sponsored Programs location. An original invoice with a unique invoice number provided by the vendor is required. Faxed invoices cannot be accepted.
- Attach supporting documentation. Supporting documentation for invoices includes the service contract, a flyer explaining the services provided, training agendas, sign-in sheets, receipts or Mapquest.
- Attach a W9 for new vendors. When working with a vendor who has never been paid through the College, a W-9 is required. If you are unsure of whether or not a W-9 is on file, then have the vendor complete the W-9 and attach to the invoice. Blank W-9 forms are available in the public files under Business and Finance, by contacting the Externally Sponsored Programs Finance Department or by logging on to the IRS website at www.irs.gov.
- Forward the original invoice and supporting documentation to the Externally Sponsored Programs Finance Department at CPO 2212. Our office is located in the Bruce Trades Building, room 217. Keep a copy for your records.
Most invoices are paid within 7 to 10 business days of receipt by the Finance Department. Because check requests require dual signatures from Department Directors as well as a review by the College’s Accounts Payable Department, inform vendors that payment may take up to 30 days from receipt of the invoice.
Check Request Signature Authorization
As of October 1, 2012, the following persons are authorized to sign check requests:
First Signature (Requestor’s Signature Line):
ETS - Kevin Hall
GEAR UP Appalachia - Kevin Hall
GEAR UP Promise Neighborhood - Kevin Hall
Upward Bound - Kevin Hall
Upward Bound Math/Science - Kevin Hall
I3 A4KY - Kevin Hall
DIG - Kevin Hall
OVW/STEP - Ginny Blackson
Promise Neighborhood - Ginny Blackson
Rural Schools - Ginny Blackson
Misc Grants (PIE, CPE, etc) - Heather Dufour
Second Signature (Department Head Signature Line):
All grants - Dreama Gentry
If additional information is needed regarding this procedure, please contact the Finance and Operations Department.