Dr. Verlaine McDonald
Professor of Communication
Draper, Room 201B
Office Hours, Spring 2015:
Mon/Wed: 10:00 am – 10:30 am; 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
Tue/Thur: 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Or By Appointment
- COM 100 (Tue/Thur: 1:00 pm – 2:50 pm)
- COM 203 (Tue/Thur: 10:00 am – 11:50 am)
- COM 207 (Mon/Wed/Fri: 10:40 am – 11:50 am)
At Berea College since 1995
- B.A. Communication and English Education, Seattle Pacific University, 1987
- M.A. Communication Arts & Sciences, University of Southern California, 1993
- Ph.D. Communication Arts & Sciences, University of Southern California, 1994
- Introduction to Communication
- Communication and Gender
- Interpersonal Communication
- Intercultural Communication
- Argumentation & Debate
- Senior Seminar in Communication
- GSTR 210
- McDonald, Andrew T. and Verlaine Stoner McDonald. Democracy in a Kimono: Paul Rusch and the Shaping of Post-War Japan. Book manuscript under review.
- Stoner, Helen and Verlaine Stoner McDonald. Sheridan County. In the series, “Images of America.” Charleston: Arcadia Publishing, 2013.
- “Democracy in a Kimono: The Kiyosato Education Experiment Project as Burkean Comic Corrective.” Peer-reviewed paper presented at the International Conference on Narrative (Manchester, England: June 2013).
- McDonald, Verlaine Stoner. The Red Corner: The Rise and Fall of Communism in Northeastern Montana. Helena: Montana State Historical Society Press, 2010.
- “Civic Engagement in Japan and Appalachia: A Burkean Analysis of the Kiyosato Education Experiment Project.” Peer-reviewed paper presented at the annual convention of the Central States Communication Association (Cincinnati: April 2010).
- “Burke’s ‘The People’ Edict and American Communism’s Evolving Narrative.” Peer-reviewed paper presented at the International Conference on Narrative (Birmingham, England: June 2009).
- “Revolutionary Symbolism in the Electronic Age: Burke and the Contemporary Communist Party.” Peer-reviewed paper presented at the annual convention of the National Communication Association (formerly the Speech Communication Association; hereafter NCA) (San Diego: November, 2008).
- “A Paper of, by and for the People’: The Producers News and the Farmers’ Movement in Northeastern Montana,1918-1937.” Montana Legacy: Essays on History, People, and Place. Ed. Harry W. Fritz, Mary Murphy, Robert R. Swartout, Jr. Helena: Montana Historical Society Press, 2002.
- “Vice President’s Spotlight Series: Burkeian Scholarship Making a Difference in Our Communities. A Roundtable Discussion.” Invited member of a peer-reviewed panel at the annual convention of the Southern States Communication Association (hereafter SSCA) (Winston-Salem, April 2002).
- “An American Communist Party for the New Millennium.” Peer-reviewed poster session at the annual convention of the NCA (Chicago: November, 1999).
- “American Communist Rhetoric After ‘the Fall.’” Peer-reviewed paper presented at the annual convention of the SSCA (Savannah: April, 1997).
- “‘A Paper of, by, and for the People’: The Producers News and the Farmers’ Movement in Northeastern Montana,1918-1937.” Peer-reviewed paper presented at the annual meeting of the Northern Great Plains History Association (Brandon, Manitoba: September, 1995).