The purpose of the Communication major is to develop in students the ability to be effective, thoughtful, and critical communicators and consumers of communication. Objectives of the major include developing students’:
- capacities for critical thinking, reasoning, argumentation, and decision making;
- skills in oral communication;
- abilities to construct and present effective arguments, mass mediated messages, interpretations and critical analyses orally and in writing;
- abilities to understand and effectively engage in interpersonal, small-group, organizational, intercultural and public relations communication contexts;
- understanding of various theories of communication and rhetoric from the classical to contemporary age;
- abilities to utilize naturalistic/qualitative research methods to collect and analyze original data and form conclusions; and
- abilities to be discriminating consumers of messages.