Dr. Nicholas Marshall
Visiting Professor of Organic Chemistry
Science Building, Room 207
Office Hours: TBA
At Berea College since 2013
- B.S., Mathematics and Chemistry, Kennesaw State University, Kennesaw GA 2004
- Ph.D., Materials Chemistry, University of Georgia, Athens 2010
- Adjunct Faculty. General Chemistry I Lab, Organic I and II Lab, College of Charleston, 2011-present.
- Adjunct Faculty. Organic I and General Chemistry II Lecture, Organic I Lab, Trident Technical College, 2011.
- Teaching Assistant. Organic Chemistry I and II Laboratory, University of Georgia, 2004-2007.
- Undergraduate Research Supervisor. Dept. of Chemistry, University of Georgia, 2007 – 2010. PI: Prof. Jason Locklin.
- Undergraduate Teaching Assistant. Department of Chemistry, Kennesaw State University, 2002-2004.
- R&D Lead. Sweet Living Group, St. Louis, MO. 2011 – present.
- Postdoctoral Scholar. U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. PI: Dr. Greg Doucette. 2011 – present.
Publications and Patents
- Marshall, N and Doucette, G.J. “Multiplexed detection of paralytic shellfish toxin and domoic acid on a portable surface plasmon resonance platform.” Manuscript in preparation.
- Kramer, Rob; Kramer, Ron; and Marshall, N.M. “Ecological fabric having ultraviolet radiation protection.” U.S. Patent 8,277,518. Issued 10.2.2012.
- “A Brief Guide to Writing REU Applications.” Nicholas Marshall, The Chemistry Blog, 3.22.2012
- Marshall, N and Locklin, J. “Reductive electrografting of benzene (p-bisdiazonium hexafluorophosphate): a simple and effective protocol for creating diazonium-functionalized thin films.” Langmuir, 2011, 27, 13367-13373.
- Sontag, S.K.; Sheppard, G; Usselman, N.M.; Marshall, N; Locklin, J. “Surface-confined nickel-mediated cross- coupling reactions: characterization of the initiator environment in Kumada catalyst-transfer polycondensation.” Langmuir, 2011, 27, 12033-12041.
- Marshall, N; Sontag, S.K; Locklin, J. “Surface-initiated metal-mediated coupling polymerization for preparation of conjugated polymer films.” Chem. Commun. 2011, 47, 5681-5689. Invited Review
- Marshall, N; Sontag, S.K; Locklin, J. “Electro-optical applications of polymer thin films.” In Functional Polymer Films, Knoll, W and Advincula, R. eds. VCH-Wiley, Weinheim, Germany. DOI 10.1002/9783527638482.ch10
- Marshall, N; Petterson, K.A; Roberts, J.D. “Conformational analysis of malic acid and its anions via 1H NMR spectroscopy.” In preparation.
- Marshall, N; Sontag, S.K; Locklin, J. “Substituted poly(p-phenylene) thin films via surface-initiated Kumada-type catalyst transfer polycondensation.” Macromolecules, 2010, 43, 2137-2144.
- Marshall, N; Sontag, S.K; Locklin, J. “Surface-initiated Kumada-type catalyst transfer polycondensation.” Polymer Preprints ̧ 2010, 51, 229-230.
- Marshall, N.; Sontag, S.K; Locklin,J. “Formation of conjugated polymer brushes by surface-initiated catalyst-transfer polycondensation.” Chem. Commun. 2009, 23, 3354-3355. This co-first-authored work was highlighted by the publications Chemistry World and Chemical Science, and is the most highly cited article in its issue of Chemical Communications.
- Marshall, N.M.; Orski, S.V.; Locklin, J. “Wiring molecules with polymer brushes: end-functionalization of conjugated polymer brushes via ROMP.” Polymeric Materials Science and Engineering, 2008, 98, 275-276.
- Haley, J; Li, X; Marshall, N.; Locklin, J; Geng, Y; “DNA packaging via combinative self-assembly.” Molecular Biosystems, 2008, 4(6), 515-517.
Awards and Recognition
- “Development of UV-protective ecological fabric.” Industry R&D grant, The Sweet Living Group, St. Louis, MO. 2011-present. $2000/year.
- U.S. National Research Council Postdoctoral Research Associateship, 2011.
- Newspaper article, “Big find in a tiny package” Lee Shearer, The Athens Banner-Herald, 2009.
- Magazine article, “Skyscraper approach to nanoelectronics” Ian Coates, Chemical Science, 2009
- University of Georgia Department of Chemistry Teaching Assistant Award, 2007.
- Kennesaw State University Regents Scholar, 2004.
- U.S. National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship, Honorable Mention, 2004.
- Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute, Moss Landing, CA, 2011. “Surface chemistry and methods development for SPR-based immunodetection of domoic acid in realistic field matrices.” (Oral)
- 6th Symposium on Harmful Algae in the US, Austin, TX, 2011. “Multiplexed detection of paralytic shellfish toxins and domoic acid on a portable surface plasmon resonance platform.” (Poster)
- National Graduate Research Polymer Conference, Chapel Hill, NC, 2010. “Functional Polyphenylenes from Surfaces and Solutions.” (Oral)
- University of Georgia NanoSEC NanoBio Cleanroom Opening Symposium, Athens, GA, 2010. “Surface-bound molecular wires via surface-initiated catalyst transfer polymerization.” (Poster)
- University of Georgia Dept. of Chemistry, Athens, GA 2008. “Formation of conjugated homopolymer and block copolymer brushes.” (Oral)
- ACS National Meeting, New Orleans, LA, 2007. “Molecular Wires to Ferrocene: End-functionalized Polyacetylene Brushes.” (Oral)
- ACS Southeastern Regional Meeting, Atlanta, GA, 2003. “Aromaticity of a Novel Heteroaromatic Cation.” (Poster)