The Bruce Building is one of three buildings originally constructed to house industrial classes and facilities as well as provide additional housing to students. The back half of the building was built in 1903 as the “woodworking annex” to the Men’s Industrial Building (now the Edwards Bulding). This half served as home to woodworking and Woodcraft until 1981, the crafts marketing and shipping department from 1981 to 1998, and a temporary home to Broomcraft from 1997-98. The front half of the Bruce Building was built separately in 1907 and was named for George Bruce, an innovator in the printing industry. This half was specifically built to house the Berea College press with a winter residence hall on the third floor. Around 1920, the front and back halves were connected. The entire building was renovated in 1999 and 2001, joining the building with the Trades building by means of the Bruce-Trades Connector. The Bruce Building now houses the Appalachian Center (including Brushy Fork Institute,Appalachian Heritage magazine, and the Appalachian Center Gallery), the TRIO Programs, and the Entrepreneurship for the Public Good Program.
The Bruce-Trades Connector was built in 2001. It is common space serving all of the departments in Bruce-Trades and offers lounge and kitchen facilities.
The Trades Building was also built in 1903. It served as home to a blacksmith shop, additional woodworking facilities, and a printing office. From 1925 to 1975, the building was home to the Bakery. In 1939, the Candy Kitchen was moved from Hanson Hall to the Trades Building. The Trades Building was renovated in 1936 and later in 2000. It now houses Printing Services, CELTS, and the Administrative Systems and Web Team divisions of Information Systems and Services.
Staff and Departments
- Appalachian Center
- Center for Excellence in Learning Through Service (CELTS)
- Ecological Sustainability Education
- Information Systems and Services Divisions
- Printing Services