Ten Commandments of Using Volunteers Effectively
- Just sign people up. . .
- Recruit people to come to meetings . . .
- Make new volunteers work alone. . .
- Just tell them what to do. . .
- Ask people what they want to do. . .
- Use them up and burn them out. . .
- Ignore their suggestions. . .
- Let them starve for appreciation. . .
- Assume volunteers can only be “workers”. . .
- Assume you don’t have time to train volunteers. . .
- Give them something to do!
- Recruit people to come to activities!
- Assign them a partner or put them on a team!
- Involve them in project planning!
- Ask them what they like to do!
- Keep expectations reasonable and keep adding new volunteers to share the work!
- Let them know you appreciate their input!
- Pay them with praise!
- Let them run projects or be trainers and coordinators for other volunteers!
- Consider whether you really have time to do it all by yourself
Download this file to print as a handout.