Who We Are
The Work of Brushy Fork Institute
Since 1988, Brushy Fork Institute has worked to develop strong leadership in communities throughout Appalachia. As an outreach program of Berea College, the Institute offers leadership training, organizational development workshops and technical assistance to communities working for a better tomorrow.
Brushy Fork offered the first Annual Institute in 2005 and based the program on seventeen years of experience operating an award-winning Leadership Development Program for Appalachian community leaders. The Annual Institute serves as a regional model for a self-sustaining, open training venue designed to build the capacity of nonprofits and community-based organizations in central Appalachia.
Through our broad range of programs and services we support leadership development initiatives that provide individuals with the skills needed to implement effective community-based capacity building efforts throughout Appalachia.
The Mission of Brushy Fork Institute
For more than one hundred years, Berea College has served the people of Appalachia. The Brushy Fork Institute carries forward this commitment by working to develop strong leadership in the mountains. Working with both existing and emerging leaders, we draw on local understanding and vision to help communities build for tomorrow.
Goals of Brushy Fork Institute
- To increase the number of people taking leadership responsibility in the Central Appalachian region at the community, county and regional levels.
- To promote leadership perspectives and practices that are developmental, cooperative, accountable, ethical and effective.
- To help communities articulate their vision and build on their own history, strengths and creativity to achieve their vision.
- To promote networking among community leaders and regional organizations.
- To increase the participation of leaders from traditionally under-represented groups.
- To strengthen the contributions of other Berea College programs to the development of Central Appalachian leaders and communities.
- To share leadership and community development ideas and strategies regionally, nationally and globally.