Dr. G. Neil Douglas
Assistant Professor of Biology
M, W, F: 9:30-10:40 am & 1:30-2:40 pm
T, R: 1:30-4:00 pm
R: 9:00-11:45 am
BIO 332 (Tue: 8:30 am – 11:30 am) (Mon/Wed/Fri: 10:40 am – 11:50 am)
GSTR 332 C (Mon/Wed/Fri: 2:40 pm – 4:30 pm)
At Berea College since 2002
- B.S. Animal Science, University of Kentucky, 1990
- M.S. Nutritional Physiology, Iowa State University, 1995
- Ph.D. Dairy Cattle Nutrition, University of Illinois, 2002
Honors and Awards
Teaching Award of Merit, North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture, 2004
- ANR/CFS 103 Science of Food Systems
- ANR 310 Nutritional Studies
- ANR 312 Advanced Livestock Systems
- ANR 324 Nutritional Biochemistry and Physiology
- ANR 360 Forestry and Wildlife Management
- ANR 386A Wildlife Management and Ecology
- ANR 388 Information Acquisition, Analysis, and Presentation
- GSTR 232 Natural Science
- Transition dairy cattle nutrition and nutritional physiology
- General nutrition of ruminant and non-ruminant livestock
- Intensive grazing systems and pasture stockpiling
- Feedstuff milling and feed production
- Computer applications in livestock systems management
- American Society of Animal Science
- American Dairy Science Association
- American Society of Mammologists
- North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture
Papers and Publications
- Douglas, G. N., T. R. Overton, H. G. Bateman II, J. K. Drackley. 2006. Plane of Nutrition, Regardless of Dietary Energy Source, Affects Peripartum Metabolism and Dry Matter Intake in Holstein Cows. J. Dairy Sci. 89:2141-2157.
- Douglas, G.N. 2005. Design of a Diet Formulation Program in Microsoft® Excel Enhances Spreadsheet Skills. North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture Journal. Vol 49 (No. 2). P. 66.
- Douglas, G. N., T. R. Overton, H. G. Bateman II, J. K. Drackley. 2005. Peripartal Metabolism and production for peripartum Holstein dairy cows fed diets supplemented with fat during the dry period. J. Dairy Sci. 87:4210-4220.
- Drackley, J. K., H. M. Dann, G. N. Douglas, N. A. Janovick Guretzky, N. B. Litherland, J. P. Underwood, J. J. Loor. 2005. Physiological and pathological adaptations in dairy cows that may increase susceptibility to periparturient diseases and disorders. Ital. J. Anim. Sci. 4:323-344. (Invited Review)
- Douglas, G. N. Teaching Tips. 2002. North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture Journal. Vol. 46 (No. 3). P. 56.
- Douglas, G. N., J. Rehage, A. D. Beaulieu, A. O. Bahaa, and J. K. Drackley. 2002. Peripartal changes in fatty acid profiles of blood, adipose tissue, and liver of dairy cows can be modulated by diet. J. Dairy Sci. 85(Suppl. 1):185.
- Douglas, G. N., J. Rehage, A. D. Beaulieu, A. O. Bahaa, and J. K. Drackley. 2001. Prepartum nutrition alters fatty acid composition in liver of peripartal dairy cows. FASEB 15(Suppl. 2):A961.
- Drackley, J. K., G. N. Douglas, and H. M. Dann. 2001. Update on dry period and transition period nutrition. 2001 Illinois Dairy Report. Pp. 6-9.
- Drackley, J. K., T. R. Overton, and G. N. Douglas. 2001. Adaptations of glucose and long-chain fatty acid metabolism in liver of dairy cows during the periparturient period. J. Dairy Sci. 84(E. Suppl.): E100-E112.
- Dann, H. M., G. N. Douglas, T. R. Overton, and J. K. Drackley. 2000. Carnitine palmitoyltransferase activity in liver of periparturient dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci 83(Suppl. 1):251.
- Swanson, K. S., N. R. Merchen, J. W. Erdman, Jr., J. K. Drackley, F. Orias, G. N. Douglas, and J. C. Huhn. 2000. A technique for multiple liver biopsies in neonatal calves. J. Anim. Sci. 78:2459-2463.
- Douglas, G. N., J. K. Drackley, T. R. Overton, and H. G. Bateman. 1999. Effects of varying fat or NFC in dry cow diets fed at different levels. 1999 Illinois Dairy Report. Pp. 74-78.
- Overton, T. R., J. K. Drackley, C. J. Ottemann-Abbamonte, A. D. Beaulieu, L. S. Emmert, G. N. Douglas, and J. H. Clark. 1999. Adaptations of ruminant glucose metabolism to increased glucose demand imposed experimentally or during the transition period of dairy cows. 1999 Illinois Dairy Report. Pp. 62-65
- Douglas, G. N., J. K. Drackley, T. R. Overton, and H. G. Bateman. 1998. Lipid metabolism and production by Holstein cows fed control or high fat diets at restricted or ad libitum intakes during the dry period. J. Dairy Sci. 81(Suppl. 1):295.
- Ottemann-Abbamonte, C. J., J. K. Drackley, A. D. Beaulieu, T. R. Overton, G. N. Douglas, and D. L. Palmquist. 1998. Effect of acetate on palmitate oxidation in bovine and rat skeletal tissue. FASEB J. 12:A835.
- Overton, T. R., J. K. Drackley, G. N. Douglas, L. S. Emmert, and J. H. Clark. 1998. Hepatic gluconeogenesis and whole-body protein metabolism of periparturient dairy cows as affected by source of energy and intake of the prepartum diet. J. Dairy Sci. 81(Suppl. 1):295.
- Douglas, G. N., H. D. Tyler, and J. W. Young. 1995. Effect of altered glucose availability at birth on feed efficiency and glucose utilization in growing calves. J. Dairy Sci. 78(Suppl. 1):233.