Right from the start, Berea’s primary goals for design and construction of a new residence hall focused on several key objectives:
- Space to accommodate 120+ students
- “Green” design and materials, emphasis on high energy efficiency
- Innovative ideas for sustainable operations
- Providing student interaction with building systems to assure that occupants and visitors become more aware of the ecological footprint of the facility
- Space for residential programming that incorporates flexible living arrangements, group study and residential learning community spaces, informal gathering and social interaction/program spaces
The path to sustainable design was further defined within the framework of two green building standards. Based on design concepts and recommendations, the project has targeted LEED Platinum (NC 2009) and Living Building Challenge Petal Recognition (LBC v2.0) in what has been termed a “LEED Platinum Plus” approach.