Dr. Gordon Gray
Assistant Professor of Media and Culture
Draper Building, 314-B
Office Hours, Spring 2015:
Mon/Tue/Thu: 11:00 am – 12:30 pm
Mon/Wed: 2:40 pm – 3:50 pm
or by appointment
- AST 206 (Mon/Wed: 4:00 pm – 5:50 pm)
- SOC 220 (Tue/Thur: 1:00 pm – 2:50 pm)
- THR 331 (Mon/Wed: 12:40 pm – 2:30 pm)
- Ph.D., Napier University, 2002, Dissertation: Malaysian Cinema and Negotiations with Modernity: Filmand Anthropology.
- MA (Hons.), First Class Social Anthropology University of Edinburgh, 1996
- 2010 Cinema: A Visual Anthropology. Oxford and New York: Berg Publishers.
- 2010 ‘Shame and the Fourth Wall: Some considerations for anthropology of the cinema,’ in Yeoh Seng Guan (ed.) Media, Culture and Society in Malaysia, Malaysian Studies Series. Routledge Press.
- 2010‘Where is the Audience? An “Anti-audience” Study of Malay-language Cinema,’ in J.C.H. Lee (ed.) The Malaysian Way of Life, Kuala Lumpur: Marshall Cavendish Editions.
- 1999 ‘Urbanism: The Symbol of Malay(sian) Modernity,’ in Bozidar Jezernik (ed.) Urban Symbolism and Rituals: Proceedings of the International Symposium Organised by the IUAES Commission on Urban Anthropology. Oddelek za etnologijo in kulturo antropolgijo, Filozofska fakulteta: Ljubljana.
- Association of Asian Studies
- American Association of Anthropology
- Semiotics Society of America