“If you want to understand the world, you need to understand Asia.” — Nicholas D. Kristof, New York Times.
The Program in Asian Studies offers Berea students the opportunity to study the art, cinema, history, philosophy, religion, and society of various Asian cultures. Our faculty resources are particularly strong in the areas of East Asian history, philosophy, religion, and theater, as well as South and Southeast Asian arts and cultures.
Majors and Minors in Asian Studies enjoy membership in a lively campus community of students, faculty, and staff united by a common interest in Asia. Many of our graduates have gone on to pursue careers in business, education, and law, while others have undertaken post-graduate study in various academic disciplines related to Asia.
If you are interested in gaining knowledge and understanding of the region that is home to 2/3 of the world’s population, then Asian Studies is for you.
Why Study Asia?
Consider these facts:
- 57% of the worlds’s population lives in Asia.
- The world’s four most popular religions (Hinduism, Buddhism, Christianity, and Islam) all originated in Asia.
- Asian economies represent approximately 1/3 of the World Gross National Product.
- More than 80% of the $154 billion U.S. global trade deficit is with Asian countries.
- Asian civilizations and American concerns are intertwined through history, commerce, politics, religion, and culture.
- Those with knowledge of Asia are poised for success in business, law, education, government, and international service work.