Christopher A. Miller
Associate Director & Curator, Loyal Jones Appalachian Center
College Curator, Berea College
Mailing: CPO 2196, Berea, KY 40404
Office: Stephenson Hall, Room 225
Office Hours: M-F, 9:00am-12:00pm, 1:30pm-4:30pm
Office Phone: 859-985-3373
Appalachian Center’s Fax: 859-985-3903
At Berea College since 1993
- B.S., Applied Mathematics, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1984
- M.A., History, University of Delaware, 1990
- Graduate Certificate, Museum Studies, University of Delaware, 1990
- Digital Humanities, Digital Curation, and Digital Scholarship
- Material Culture theory & methods, especially as applied to teaching
- Comparative study of American Appalachia and Carpathian Ukraine
- Place-based education
- Project-based pedagogies, such as Guided Design and Design Thinking
- The history of Berea College Crafts and Berea College Student Industries
- The history of skittles-like games
Biography of Christopher A. Miller
Christopher A. Miller has spent most of his career exploring museum-like modes of teaching and learning in the world of higher education. He was a pioneer in digital humanities in Kentucky, first putting images and video of artifacts, and virtual exhibits, online in 1995.
Miller has been at Berea College since 1993, initially appointed as Director of Berea College’s Appalachian Museum. At Berea he has also served as Network Services Administrator and Interim Director of the Appalachian Center. Prior to Berea, Miller spent seven years working in public museums: The Minnesota History Center (St. Paul, MN) and the Outagamie Museum & Houdini Historical Center (Appleton, WI).
In 2011 and 2014 Miller was a Fulbright Scholar to Ukraine. In 2011 he taught at the Vasyl Stefanik Precarpathian National University Institute for Tourism. In 2014 he taught at the Ivano-Frankivsk State College for Technology and Business. His Fulbright research was into the role of material culture and imagery in constructing and portraying highlander identity in Carpathian Mountain Ukraine.