Needs, Goals and Outcomes
Some of the most pressing regional needs to be addressed by Grow Appalachia are:
- Basic diet-related health concerns – obesity, diabetes, heart disease.
- Limited availability of high-quality fresh produce.
- Generational loss of knowledge of gardening, cooking, and food preservation skills.
- Widespread economic dependency and lack of autonomy.
Some of the planned outcomes will be:
- Provide mountain families the resources and support to produce more of their own food.
- Develop systems to share surplus produce with elderly and disabled folks at little or no cost.
- Create systems to market surplus produce to local residents or, cooperatively, to a wider regional market.
- Families benefiting from this program will agree to help other families as they are able to maximize the impact of the program.