Dr. Sean Clark
Associate Professor of Agriculture and Natural Resources,
Goldthwait Agriculture Building, Room 212
At Berea College since 1998
Monday: 10:00- 11:30 a.m.
Tuesday: 10:00- 11:30 a.m.
Wednesday: 10:00- 11:30 a.m.
Thursday: 10:00- 11:30 a.m.
Friday: 10:00- 11:30 a.m.
ANR 265 (Tues/Thur: 1:00 pm – 2:50 pm)
ANR 375 (Mon/Wed/Fri: 8:00 am – 9:50 am)
ANR 492 (TBA)
- Ph.D. , Entomology, conc. Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, Michigan State University, 1996
- MS , Entomology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University, 1993
- BS , Biology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University, 1989
- ANR 100 Introduction to Agriculture and Natural Resources
- ANR 216 Agriculture and Food of Greece: Local to Global
- ANR 265 Bees and Beekeeping
- ANR/SENS 305 Aquaculture and Aquaponics
- ANR 350 Horticulture
- ANR 375 Farm Resource Management
- ANR 386 Farm to Table: Value-Added Food Production
- ANR 492 Senior Seminar
- Organic farming
- Integrated pest management
- Soil quality
- Local food systems
- Financial viability of small farms
- Microlivestock production
Publications and Presentations
- Clark, S. 2014. Agroecology in Central Appalachia: Framing problems and facilitating solutions. In N. Benkeblia (ed.), Agroecology, Ecosystems and Sustainability. CRC Press, Boca Raton. pp. 279-308. (released November, 2014)
- Clark, S. 2014. Resource-use and partial-budget analysis of a transition to reduced-input and organic practices and direct marketing: a student-farm case study. Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development 4:113-130.
- Khoshnevisan, B., M.A. Rajaeifar, S. Clark, S. Shamahirband, N.B. Anuar, N.L. Mohd Shuib & A. Gani. 2014. Evaluation of traditional and consolidated rice farms in Guilan Province, Iran, using life cycle assessment and fuzzy modeling. Science of the Total Environment 481:242-251.
- Khoshnevisan, B., S. Rafiee, M. Omid, H. Mousazadeh, S. Clark. 2014. Environmental impact assessment of tomato and cucumber cultivation in greenhouses using life cycle assessment and adaptive neuro-fuzzy inference system. Journal of Cleaner Production 73:183-192.
- Clark, S. & J. Meyer. 2013. Financial comparison of organic potato production using different integrated pest management systems. 2013 Fruit and Vegetable Crops Research Report, Univ. of Kentucky Agricultural Experiment Station. PR673:33-36.
- Clark, S. 2013. The other side of Foodtopia: Waste not in Asheville. BioCycle 54(4):20-25.
- Clark, S. 2012. Students assess capacity of an educational farm to supply dining hall at Berea College: Is 25% of the food an achievable goal (poster). Sustainable Agriculture Education Association’s 5th National Conference. Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon.
- Clark, S. 2011. Linking academics and farm work: Experiential agricultural education at a small liberal arts college. Fundamentals for Life: Soil, Crop, and Environmental Sciences (ASA CSSA SSSA International Meetings), San Antonio, Texas.
- Clark. S. 2011. An educational farm as a model of sustainability: Experiences at Berea College (poster). Seeding the Future: Cultivating the College Farm from Field to the Classroom. Dickinson College, Carlisle, Pennsylvania.
- Watkins, K. and S. Clark. 2011. Out with the hogs and in with the fish: Feasibility of tilapia farming in a former hog-waste lagoon (poster). Kentucky Academy of Science 97th Annual Meeting, Murray State University, Murray, Kentucky.
- Sayre, L. and S. Clark (eds.). 2011 Fields of Learning: The Student Farm Movement in North America. University Press of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, 354 pp. ISBN 978-0-8131-3374-4.
- Clark, S. and O. Pogue. 2009. A college pursues organic beekeeping: Stock selection, forage availability, mite treatments and supplemental food all can be challenges to an organic program. Bee Culture September issue, pp. 17-19.
- Pogue, O., S. Clark, and S. Paulson. 2008. Effects of human disturbance on ground beetle diversity. Kentucky Academy of Science 94th Annual Meeting, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky (poster).
- Sands, J., S. Hammond, S. Clark, and S. Paulson. 2008. Home-based processing to add value to horticultural products. Kentucky Academy of Science 94th Annual Meeting, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky (poster).
- Gravitt, O. Pogue, and S. Clark. 2007. Population dynamics of varroa mite (Acari: Varroidae) on different honey bee (Hymenoptera: Apidae) stocks. Kentucky Academy of Science 93nd Annual Meeting. University of Louisville (poster).
- Pogue, O., S. Gravitt, and S. Clark. 2007. Management of Varroa Mites (Acari: Varroidae) in Organic Beekeeping : Is it Possible? Kentucky Academy of Science 93nd Annual Meeting. University of Louisville (poster).
- Clark, S. and M. Hileman. 2007. Financial analysis of small-scale, organic, cut-lettuce production systems. 2007 Fruit and Vegetable Crops Research Report, University of Kentucky Agricultural Experiment Station. pp. 61-63.
- Clark, S., K. Szlavecz, , M. Cavigelli and F. Purrington. 2006. Ground beetle (Coleoptera: Carabidae) assemblages in organic, no-till, and chisel-till cropping systems in Maryland. Environmental Entomology 35: 1304-1312.
- Clark, S. and M. Cavigelli. 2005. Suitability of composts as potting media for production of organic vegetable transplants. Compost Science and Utilization 13: 150-156
- Clark, S. and M. Cavigelli. 2005. Local composts as potting media for organic vegetable production. 2005 Fruit and Vegetable Crops Research Report, University of Kentucky Agricultural Experiment Station. Pp. 85-87.
- Clark, S. and M. Cavigelli. 2005. College composting program shapes up in Kentucky. In Business 27 (4): 26-27.
- Clark, S. and M. Cavigelli. 2005. College composting program matures. BioCycle 46(7): 35-38
- Clark, S. and M. Panciera. 2002. Cover crop roll-down for weed suppression in no-till crop production. 2002 Fruit and Vegetable Crops Research Report, University of Kentucky Agricultural Experiment Station. pp. 56-57.
- Clark, S. 2002. Composting horse bedding in Kentucky’s Bluegrass Region. BioCycle 43(7): 24-25.
- Hernández, C., J. Yeomans, and S. Clark. 2002. Sustainable example for waste management. BioCycle 43(8): 67-68.
- Clark, S. 2002. Evaluation of an institutional food-residuals composting system. Proceedings of the 2002 International Symposium on Composting and Compost Utilization, May 6-8, Columbus, OH.
- Rämert, B., R.L. Bugg, M.S. Clark, M.R. Werner, R.P. McGuinn, D. Poudel & A.M. Berry. 2000. Influence of Lumbricus terrestris inoculation on green manure disappearance in Persian walnut (Juglans regia) orchards. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 33: 1509-1516.
- Clark, S and L. Law. 2000. Multipurpose program at Berea College. BioCycle 41(9): 69-70.
- Clark, S., K. Klonsky, P. Livingston, and S. Temple. 1999. Crop-yield and economic comparisons of organic, low-input, and conventional farming systems in California’s Central Valley. American Journal of Alternative Agriculture 14: 109-121.
- Clark, M.S., W.R. Horwath, C. Shennan., K.M. Scow, W.T. Lanini, and H. Ferris. 1999. Nitrogen, weeds and water as yield-limiting factors in conventional, low-input, and organic tomato systems. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 73: 257-270.
- Clark, M.S. 1999. Ground beetle abundance and community composition in conventional and organic tomato systems of California’s Central Valley. Applied Soil Ecology 11: 199-206.
- Clark, M.S., W.R. Horwath, C. Shennan, K.M. Scow. 1998. Changes in soil chemical properties resulting from organic and low-input farming practices. Agronomy Journal 90: 662-671.
- Clark, M.S., H. Ferris, K. Klonsky, W.T. Lanini, A.H.C. van Bruggen, & F.G. Zalom. 1998. Agronomic, economic, and environmental comparison of pest management in conventional and alternative tomato and corn systems in northern California. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 68: 51-71.
- Clark, S. 1997. Domestic birds for biological control. The IPM Practitioner 19(9): 5-7.
- Clark, M.S. and S.H. Gage. 1997. Relationship between fruit yield and damage by codling moth and plum curculio in a biologically-managed apple orchard. Great Lakes Entomologist 30: 161-168.
- Clark, M.S., S.H. Gage, & J.R. Spence. 1997. Habitats and management associated with common ground beetles (Coleoptera: Carabidae) in a Michigan agricultural landscape. Environmental Entomology 26: 519-527.
- Clark, M.S. & S.H. Gage. 1997. The effects of free-range domestic birds on the abundance of epigeic predators and earthworms. Applied Soil Ecology 255-260.
- Clark, M.S. & S.H. Gage. 1996. Effects of free-range chickens and geese on insect pests and weeds in an agroecosystem. American Journal of Alternative Agriculture 11: 39-47.
- Clark, M.S., S.H. Gage, L. B. DeLind and M. Lennington. 1995. The compatibility of domestic birds with a non-chemical agroecosystem. American Journal of Alternative Agriculture 10: 114-121
- Clark, M.S., J.M. Luna, & R. R. Youngman. 1995. Estimation of adult carabid absolute densities in a no-till corn field by removal sampling. Applied Soil Ecology 2: 185-193.
- Clark, M.S., J.M. Luna, N.D. Stone, & R.R. Youngman. 1994. Generalist predator consumption of armyworm (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) and the effect of predator removal on damage in no-till corn. Environmental Entomology 23: 617-622.
- Clark, M.S., J.M. Luna, N.D. Stone, & R.R. Youngman. 1993. Habitat preferences of generalist predators in reduced-tillage corn. Journal of Entomological Science 28: 404-416.