Dr. Sarah Hall
Visiting Assistant Professor of Plant and Soil Sciences
Goldthwait Agriculture Building, Room 214
Office Hours: M,W,F, 8:30-10:30 a.m.
At Berea College since 2011
- Ph.D., Crop Science, conc. Grassland Ecology, University of Kentucky, 2011
- MS, Forestry, conc. Restoration Ecology, University of Kentucky, 2007
- BA, Interdisciplinary Studies, conc. Environmental Education, Appalachian State University, 2003
- ANR 240 Soil Science
- ANR 130 Plant Science
- ANR 360 Forest and Wildlife Management
Plant Community Ecology, Plant-Soil Interactions, Restoration Ecology
Papers and Publications
- Hall SL and RJ Barney. 2011. An Assessment of Leaf Beetle Habitats within Five State Nature Preserves in Kentucky. Journal of the Kentucky Academy of Science 72(1):24-35
- Hall SL, RL McCulley and RJ Barney. In press. Restoration of native warm season grassland in a tall fescue pasture using prescribed fire and herbicides. Restoration Ecology. doi: 10.1111/j.1526-100X.2010.00749.x
- Barney RJ and SL Hall. 2011. New Host Plant Records for Selected Cryptocephaline Leaf Beetles (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) in Kentucky. The Coleopterists Bulletin 65(1):15-19. doi: 10.1649/0010-065X-65.1.15
- Hall SL and RJ Barney. 2010. A Quantitative Method for Assigning Abundance Classifications to Leaf Beetles (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) in Kentucky. Natural Areas Journal 30(1):95-105. doi: 10.3375/043.030.0110
- Hall SL, CD Barton and CC Baskin. 2010. Topsoil Seed Bank of an Oak-Hickory Forest in Eastern Kentucky as a Restoration Tool on Surface Mines. Restoration Ecology. 18(6):834-842. doi: 10.1111/j.1526-100X.2008.00509.x
- Barney RJ and SL Hall. 2009. Pachybrachis nigricornis carbonarius Haldeman (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae): Abundance, Distribution, and Host Plant Associations with Legumes (Fabales: Fabaceae) in Kentucky. The Coleopterists Bulletin 63(4):467-474. doi: 10.1649/1180.1
- Hall SL, CD Barton and CC Baskin. 2009. Seed Viability in Stockpiled Topsoil on a Surface Mine in Appalachia. Ecological Restoration 27(4):381-383. doi:10.3368/er.27.4.381
- Hall SL. 2009. Talk of “clean coal” ignores dirty truth. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 7(2):70. doi: 10.1890/09.WB.001
- Angel PN, CD Barton, RC Warner, C Agouridis, T Taylor, and SL Hall. 2008. Forest Establishment and Water Quality Characteristics as Influenced by Spoil Type on a Loose-Graded Surface Mine in Eastern Kentucky. In R.I. Barnhisel (Ed.), Proceedings of the 2008 National Meeting of the American Society of Mining and Reclamation, Richmond, VA, June 13- 19, 2008. ASMR, Lexington, KY.
- Angel PN, CD Barton, RC Warner, C Agouridis, SL Hall, RJ Sweigard and DH Graves. 2007. Tree Growth and Natural Regeneration on Three Loose-Graded Surface Mine Spoil Types in Kentucky: Preliminary Findings. In R.I. Barnhisel (Ed.), Proceedings of the 2007 National Meeting of the American Society of Mining and Reclamation, Gillette WY, June 2-7, 2007. ASMR, Lexington, KY.
- De Sá PB, J Hartman, W Leesutthiphonchai, AM Holdcroft, P Dymarski, SL Hall, JP Royse and J Lensing. 2006. National Nursery Perimeter and Forest Survey for Phytophthora ramorum in Kentucky, 2006. Nursery and Landscape Program 2006 Research Report: 30-31.