Dr. Mike Panciera
Emeritus Associate Professor of Agriculture and Natural Resources; Past Program Chair for Agriculture and Natural Resources; Past Clarence M. Clark Chair of Mountain Agriculture
At Berea College 1998-2014
- Ph.D. in Agronomy, Pennsylvania State University, 1982
- M.S. in Crop Science, University of Guelph, 1979
- B.S. in Crop Science, University of Guelph, 1977
Honors and Awards
- Visiting Professor, Department of Plant and Soil Sciences, University of Kentucky, Fall 2006
- Paul C. Hager Award for Excellence in Advising, 2006
- Clarence M. Clark Chair in Mountain Agriculture, 2003-present
- Teaching Award of Merit, National Association of Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture, 2001.
- ANR 100 Introduction to Agriculture and Natural Resources
- ANR 130 Plant Science
- ANR 330 Forage and Row Crop Production
- ANR 342 Soil and Water Conservation
- ANR 375 Farm resource management
- GSTR 110 Writing Seminar 1
- Pastures and pasture management
- Forage crop production and quality
- Whole farm planning and decision-making
- Diversified farm management
- Local food production and marketing
- American Forage and Grassland Council
- American Society of Agronomy
- Crop Science Society of America
- Kentucky Forage and Grassland Society
- Soil and Water Conservation Society
- Kentucky Academy of Science
Papers and Publications
- Panciera, M. 2010. Berea College Agriculture and Natural Resources: Integration of the academic and labor programs. Fall Conference of Work Colleges Consortium, 28-30 Oct 2010.
- Hammond, S., J. Sands, and M. Panciera. 2008. Sausage as a value-added local pork product. Kentucky Academy of Science Annual Meeting, Oct 31-Nov 1, Lexington, KY. First place in agriculture and natural resources division poster contest.
- Panciera, M. and S. Clark. 2007. Berea College Farm: Experiential Education Since 1895. Facilitating Sustainable Agriculture Education, 11-14 Jul 2007, Ithaca, NY
- Smith, R. and M. Panciera. 2007. Using a grazing stick for pasture management. Pub. No. AGR 191, Univ. of KY Cooperative Extension Service, Lexington, KY
- Panciera, M.T., W.E. Kunkle, and S.C. Fransen. 2003. Minor Silage Crops. ch. 17. In, D.R. Buxton, R.E. Muck, and J.H. Harrison (eds.) Silage Science and Technology, American Society of Agronomy, Madison, WI
- Grabber, J.H., M.T. Panciera, and R.D. Hatfield. 2002. Chemical composition and enzymatic degradability of xylem and non-xylem walls isolated from alfalfa internodes. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 50:2595-2600.
- Sparrow, S.D. and Panciera, M.T. 2001. Crop yield and soil characteristics following various cropping regimes in Alaska. Acta Agriculturae Scandinavica, Section B, Plant and Soil 51: 143-150.
- Panciera, M.T. 2000. Native grass establishment: pitfalls and potentials. Invited paper. Proc. 2nd Eastern Native Grass Symposium. 17-19 Nov Baltimore, MD. Sponsored by United States Department of Agriculture – Agricultural Research Service, Natural Resources Conservation Service, National Association of Conservation Districts.
- Sparrow, S.D. and Panciera, M.T. 2000. Forage yield and soil characteristics under various crops in Alaska. Acta Agriculturae Scandinavica, Section B, Plant and Soil. 50:75-81.
- Panciera, M.T. and S.D. Sparrow. 1998. Recent forage legume research in Alaska. Proc. 3rd Circumpolar Agricultural. Conference. Anchorage, Alaska. 12-16 Oct. 1998. University of Alaska, Fairbanks.
- Panciera, M.T. and C.R. Krause. 1997. Effects of chemical drying agents on the fine structure of alfalfa cuticles and epicuticular waxes. Crop Science 37:1292-1296.
- Bruce, L.B., M.T. Panciera, R.G. Gavlak, B.A. Tillman, and J.M. Cadle. 1995. Botanical and other characteristics in Arctic salt-affected coastal areas used by migratory geese and caribou. Journal of Range Management 48:206-210.
- Panciera, M.T., L.B. Bruce, R.G. Gavlak, and B.A. Tillman. 1995. Addition of livestock performance and economic factors to yield and quality analysis of forage management experiments. Journal of Production Agriculture 8:101-106.
- Panciera, M.T. and S.D. Sparrow. 1995. Effects of nitrogen fertilizer on dry matter and nitrogen yields of herbaceous legumes in interior Alaska. Canadian Journal of Plant Science 75:129-134.
- Panciera, M.T., L.B. Bruce, and R.G. Gavlak. 1993. Computer-aided evaluation of forage management: Forage Manager. Journal of Natural Resource and Life Sciences Education 22:163-168.
- Walworth, J.L., R.G. Gavlak, and M.T. Panciera. 1992. Mehlich 3 extractant for determination of available B, Cu, Fe, Mn, and Zn in Cryic Alaskan soil. Canadian Journal of Soil Science 72:517-526.
- Lopez-Guisa, J.M., L.D. Satter, and M.T. Panciera. 1991. Utilization of ensiled corn crop residues by Holstein heifers.
- Journal of Dairy Science 74:3160-3166.
- Jung, G. A., J. A. Shaffer, W. L. Stout and M. T. Panciera. 1990. Warm-season grass diversity in yield, plant morphology, and nitrogen concentration and removal in northeastern USA. Agronomy Journal 82:21-.